Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
93lt1

Pv and micrologix via ethernet  1769-net-eni

6 posts in this topic

Panelview and Micrologix via Ethernet  1769-NET-ENI Anyone work with this configuration yet?? I am expecting the PV some time this weekand I will then start the project......anything I should be careful of?  How is the data transferred to/from the PV? direct (like DH+) or indirect (like Remote I/O, Devicenet) I havent really looked at the specifics yet.......

Is the PanelView equipped with DF1 protocol or with EtherNet/IP? It doesn't really matter that much;  if you have the 1761-NET-ENI configured correctly to match the serial port of the MicroLogix, the PanelView will treat the MicroLogix just like it would an SLC-5/05.   You'll address the Micro's data tables just like you would over DH+ or DH-485 (what you called "directly"). The EtherNet/IP PanelViews are capable of doing a lot more, like  ControlLogix native tag addressing and EtherNet/IP I/O scheduled addressing with ControlLogix, but they also talk fine to PLC-5E and SLC-5/05, as well as to the 1761-NET-ENI. The main weakness I've found so far with the NET-ENI is to ask it to do too much.   The manual says it will handle six TCP connections at once;  two in, two out, and two either way.   If you have an RSLinx station talking to it, and a PanelView talking to it, now you've used up the two incoming TCP connections and have just one more to accept a MSG instruction from a PLC-5.    They're great to add a MicroLogix to an Ethernet network, but don't ask it to do much more than you'd ask the MicroLogix serial port to do.

Yes, the only reason to go Ethernet is we have a SLC 5/05 in a nearby control system and this will broaden the access to it. As far as the NET ENI goes it will only see a little data exchange between the Micro and the PV, and provide remote connectivity.

Hey, cool, I really like the highlighted quotations.   MUCH easier to read through than the ">>" that most debate-team style discussions take on e-mail lists or "that-other-PLC-board". LT1, you oughta be in good shape on your PanelView system.

Ken, You forgot to tell about the e-mail sending facility in NET-ENI.

I installed and connected the PV and the NET ENI today..... Wasnt too tough. The Email thing is pretty cool!